The small but vibrant mining village of Hengoed is located just outside the wealthier market town of Blackwood. Blackwood already served the village with cinemas a short bus ride away, even so this village also had a cinema of its own, not overly common in the industrial valley villages of South East Wales. This cinema, was owned and operated by the parents of the soon to be wealthy, Julian Hodge, of nearby Pontllanfraith. Once again the community struggled through the decline of the mining industry.
The Raglan Cinema was a very early build cinema, without the glitz and glamour of the later cinemas that were built in the South Eastern Valleys. The Raglan was very much a small community picture house that was popular during the early days of cinema. Although originally a silent cinema, using a hand operated projector, some years later a professional 35MM sound projector was installed. 

Built in the style of a long shed, the small auditorium was plain with seating on one level, the foyer included a small kiosk for ticket sales alongside some basic, minimal confectionary.

Although independently built by a local businessman, the cinema was later Managed and operated by Alfred Hodge and his wife. The Hodge family had moved to the area for work in the pits, from London. First, living in Brecon, then Hengoed and nearby Pontllanfraith. Albert Hodge took a part time job at the Raglan to increase his wages with a growing family. Exhausted by his day work, Alfred’s Son, Donald helped is dad with the projection of films while the other son, Julian, helped his mother in the box office.

The Raglan closed in 1936, unable to compete with the larger cinemas in Blackwood and Bargoed, running first run films. Some years following closure the cinema was acquired as an upholstery workshop and has continued as upholstery for more years than as a cinema, the business is still operating today.

The young Julian Hodge, became Sir Julian Hodge, building his self made financial empire, now known as the Hodge Group. Part of the group incorporate the Jackson Withers Circuit of cinemas (see link below).
UNFORTUNATELY WE HAVE NOT BEEN SUCCESSFUL IN SOURCING IMAGES FOR THIS VENUE, PLEASE CONTACT US IF YOU CAN HELP.
REGLAN CINEMA
Raglan Road.
OPENED: 1910 CLOSED: 1936  SEATING CAPACITY: 244 OPERATOR: INDEPENDENT  PROSCENIUM 18FT  SCREEN{1}. CLOSED/RETAIL UNIT.D.
ABERDARE
Welcome to an affectionate appraisal and tribute to the cinemas that entertained us in the South Eastern industrial valleys of Wales.
UPDATED - 2013
HENGOED
Welcome to an affectionate appraisal and tribute to the cinemas that entertained us in the South Eastern industrial valleys of Wales.
UPDATED - 2013
If you have any photographs, documents or information on this venue please contact us using the email link on the main menu  index page.